To obtain a personal licence an applicant
must have passed a recognised qualification. The foremost examination
authority is the BIIAB and we are an approved centre for both training
and examinations. Most courses are held near Faversham please see
map at ME13 9BH map.
Q What is the National Certificate
for Personal Licence Holders?
A. Under the Licensing Act 2003, anyone authorising the retail
sale of alcohol will have to hold a personal licence. In order
to qualify for a personal licence, an applicant must hold a licensing
qualification which is accredited with QCA and approved by Government.
The BIIAB National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders meets
the statutory requirements of the Licensing Act 2003.
Q. Who is the Certificate designed for?
A. The qualification is nationally recognised and is designed
for anyone authorising the sale of alcohol in licensed premises
- pubs and bars
- hotels and restaurants
- off-licences, supermarkets and convenience stores
- sports and social clubs
- nightclubs and entertainment establishments
- any other “premises” where alcohol is sold
Q. Whatdoes the qualification cover?
A. The Course/Certificate covers the syllabus set by Government,
to enable you to understand the law in relation to:
- the roles and responsibilities of licensing authorities
- the application process for a personal licence
- the responsibilities of the personal licence holder and the
penalties if you fail to comply with the law
- the premises licence
- the content and purpose of operating schedules
- the role and duties of the designated premises supervisor
- unauthorised licensable activities
- permitted temporary licensable activities (TEN)
- rights of entry to licensed premises
- police powers (suspension and closure of premises)
- specific prohibitions for the sale of alcohol
- the strengths of alcoholic drinks, and the effects of alcohol
on the human body
- the protection of children from harm
- the responsible retail sale of alcohol
Q. Why choose LGS.uk and
the BIIAB's National
A. As recognised experts in Licensing we provide you with a professional
service which can include your personal licence application.
The BIIAB is the market leader in developing and awarding qualifications
for the licensed retail sector. With over 23 years of experience
they have processed over 622,000 qualifications since 1994 (successful
completion of this qualification entitles you to apply to join
Q. How long is the training course, where can I take it and
how much will it cost?
A. Our programmes are completed in a day (although longer tuition
or self-study options may be available), and includes a short
multiple-choice exam. A comprehensive handbook, presented in
an easy-to-follow format, supports the qualification and covers
all the information needed for the examination. Initially the
course will be offered near Faversham
and cost £155 plus VAT including exam fee, all course material
tea/coffee and lunch
We also expect to offer courses in London, Peterborough and
Q. Can I do an NCPLH Course Online?
A. It is now possible to complete the training
part on the Personal Licence qualification in the comfort of
your own home in front of your computer. You can also complete
a range of other courses and all include handouts and test exams.
Simply tick the boxes for the online services you want, select
“add to cart”, pay with secure online payment and complete the
programme in your own time. Once complete you will then need
to attend one of the national examination centres.
click here to View online courses, including NCPLH Online